Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Friday, October 2, 2015

An On-line Novel: The Immoral: Spoiled and Abnormal

 Mr. Haggerman grasped the right metal handle to the read double doors leading into the high school. His meeting with the Principal Ray lasted twenty minutes. It proved to be a sheer waste of time.  Being a school teacher was a lot more different than being a sergeant in the military. He had served twenty years in the United States Army. Wished I could back. At least the Army gave him the ability to correct what high schools, both public and private, along with parents had created in their sons and a handful of daughters that had enlisted. He felt useless at his attempts to fix any ninth grade class that had entered his room over the last five years of tenure. Spoiled brats!

Laughter filtered down the hall toward him as he swung the door open. Like he figured, his classroom was out of control. I should make them drop and give me a hundred. He stuck a stubby finger into his stiffly, starched shirt collar and ran his finger around it, tracing at the sweat that had accumulated on his neck. Too bad I don't have twenty tooth brushes and cans of cleanser. The floor could use a good scrub. But caution ruined his ideas. Miss Wadsworth's was in his class for the second time in a row, and her family would make a big stink. It hadn't been the first time. Money talked. He had been warned last year that he would be the one to walk if he used military style discipline on her. If only I could bend her over my knee. That's what she needed. A good, old-fashioned spanking. Someone had to give that girl direction.

Halfway toward his rowdy class, Mr. Fisher swung his small hips and strutted toward him.

Mr. Haggerman slid his dark-rimmed glasses midway down his nose, and peered over them at the teen. Twinkle toes. He knew his kind. Great! In the military, they kicked those kind out. They were a distraction.

The kid stopped in front of him. A guilty-look washed over the clear-skinned, teen's face. He also swallowed an obvious lump.

The teacher stuck pushed his glasses back, shoved both hands into his trouser pockets, and jingled his change. He noted a wrinkled brown bag the boy carried. "Did you step out for lunch, Mr. Fisher?"

Ronald lowered his eyes. "I didn't get to eat breakfast, sir." His voice sounded small and girlish.

"You need a hall pass to be out here." The ex-army man watched the kid skitter cowardly toward his classroom. He is definitely one of them. Military taught him how to spot one. He glanced up at the ceiling. Why me God? Why do I get to be so lucky again this year?


Shelly Arkon © 2015





15 comments:

  1. He is pretty gentle considering he was 20 years in the military.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Eve.

    Are you going to publish this as a complete novel when it's finished, Shelly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Okay. Good. Back in the 80's teachers could be cruel.

      Delete
  4. Not sure I would make him meaner. The "drop and give me 100" gets the point across that his detentions could be harsh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Except he just thinks those punishments. He can't execute them. It sounds like the school system has curbed his tongue also. You can chop people up in your mind or on paper, but that doesn't make one a murderer or mean in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like Mr. Haggerman. My attitude is just like that when it comes to kids. No tolerance. Very good chapter!

    Take care of some typos:
    Wished I could back. (missing word)
    A guilty-look washed (no hyphen)
    The teacher stuck pushed (extra word)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lexa. I noticed after I posted. Just haven't had time to change them.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lexa. I noticed after I posted. Just haven't had time to change them.

      Delete

I'm dying to know what you think.