Blurb

The shoes didn't fit. It was an omen.













Friday, April 27, 2012

A to Z Challenge, Day 21: X is for X Marks the Spot

We’re almost there, folks. Y and Z are the only two letters left. My challenge were the curve balls life kept throwing at me during this time. The death of my editor and taking on the responsibility of my 5 month old grandson. But I’ve been making this challenge work. How about you guys?

Also, today I leave you a scene where the main character, Lila’s best friend, Cynthia teaches her to shoot a gun.

Cynthia made a bunch of clunking noises in the trunk.

I walked toward the trunk, and stood beside her.

She slapped a pistol into my hand. Heavy thing. “This is a forty-four Magnum,” she said “It’s a Dirty Harry gun. Cool. Don’t you think?”

I shrugged. Didn’t have a clue what she was talking about. Never liked Clint Eastwood’s movies.

“You hold it like this.” She extended both arms and clasped her hands together making a finger gun. “Hang onto it with both hands. Put your index finger in the trigger hole.”

I did.

She grabbed a spray paint can and ran ahead of me stopping about six feet away in front of a giant oak. There she painted a big black X in the middle of its trunk. When she finished, she ran back to me.

“Aim it at the X and shoot.”

“It can’t possibly be that easy.” I put the gun down at my side.

She shrugged and smirked at the same time. “You’ve got to learn.”

“That’s right,” Gram whispered from somewhere.

“Oh, man,” I said.

“If your husband owns guns and he’s trafficking cocaine…and you took off with the cash and the car…that tells me you need to learn.”

I let out a loud sigh.

 DISCLAIMER: No one may use any of this written content. It belongs to Shelly Arkon.

15 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your editor. Life is unpredictable.

    Beth
    http://bethlapinsatozblog.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I guess she'd better learn. Yowzer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your little story today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gossip-Girl. I've got to get caught up on my blog reading.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, this is a little further along in this. Good. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm ready for this to end. No Z-A in May for me.

    Catch My Words
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh... feisty gal that Cynthia... and she is right - Lila needs to learn how to handle a fire-arm...

    ReplyDelete

I'm dying to know what you think.